Monday, July 19, 2010

Creative Web Cam VF0330 not working with Skype

This weekend I tried to have a video call with my sister that unfortunately didn't work. What happened? Skype didn't like my Creative Webcame VF0330! why do I blame Skype? cause Kopete doesn't have to have any issues with it ;)

So after a couple of hours of googling and I ended up stuck while trying to compile the Ov51xJPEG hacked driver, then after reading a little bit more I found the following forum entry with a pretty simple solution to my problem:

First I renamed the old skype executable:

 sudo editor /usr/bin/skypemv /usr/bin/skype /usr/bin/skypewithoutcam  

Then I created the new executable


 sudo editor /usr/bin/skype  

And included the following code

 LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /your-skype-folder/skypewithoutcam  

That's it! enjoy your video calls ;)