Monday, August 17, 2009

Removing old Linux Kernels

After a couple of years using Linux as my main operative system I noticed that the size occupied in the hard was growing and growing with each upgrade, also my grub list was including more and more kernel options that I don't use anymore so I decided to remove old kernels to "clean" a bit my hard drive.

First you should check your current available kernel version with this command:

"uname -r"

You will get a reply similar to this one:

"2.6.27-9-generic"

Open "Synaptic" package manager and search for "linux-image" and after scrolling down you'll find options similar to this:

linux-image-2.6.24-21-generic
linux-image-2.6.22-14-generic

Remove kernel versions you are not using anymore, in my case I decided to keep the current one and the previous one just in case I need it.

Just make sure you don't remove the current version otherwise you'll have a long week ;)
blog comments powered by Disqus