Sunday, August 16, 2009

Adding Xmap Joomla plugin to Google

A couple of days ago I had to move one of my Joomla sites to a new hosting company (obviously because of a better deal) and after checking Google webmaster tools I noticed that the xml sitemap wasn't working anymore, so I took a look at the Joomla extensions for something that could help me solve this issue and with a few clicks I found Xmap 1.2.

It is a very popular component with lots of downloads and a detailed documentation, simple to install and use:

  1. Download the latest Xmap version version here.
  2. Unzip it and install both files (com_xmap-x.x.x and plg_xmaplink)
  3. In the backend go to the Xmap configuration window at Components --> Xmap.
  4. It is easy to add a new menu or modify default priority options.
  5. Now go to Options --> Preferences and copy the Xml sitemap url.
  6. Click on Add Sitemap on Google Webmaster Tools dashboard
  7. Add the copied url and make it "fit", just copy what's after yoursite.com/ this should be something like index.php?option=com_xmap&sitemap=1&view=xml
  8. That's it!
Now you don't have to worry about your site's xml sitemap anymore ;)
blog comments powered by Disqus